Monday 22 November 2010

Barkha Dutt and Twitter

I have created an account on Twitter, just to follow the Barkha Dutt controversy, as apparently, there seems no other way to get information on the subject. Could not find anything on regular news sites that I follow. Seems, that the media has decided to go stand by their rotten apples. My impression of NDTV has taken a big set-back. Now wonder, whom should I turn to to get a fair coverage of what is happening. 

I have often thought that people who are in position to mould the opinion of millions have a social responsibility irrespective of their profession. But, I have seen atlest some journalists, who have used their power of Pen, to threaten the system and get an unfair advantage. However, I thought that this rot was restricted to the lower portion of the journalist, and the elites were all Mr./Mrs. Clean. But this controversy has made me think again. Although Ms. Dutt, keeps saying that what she did was just sourcing information, the words used on tapes and tone seem to indicate that there was more than just sourcing. But, lets forget what she was actually doing. I am more disappointed at how the media has avoided to even report it. If it was some politician who was caught on tape, there would have been demands for his resignation from the same people, but now that one of THEM is caught, they don't even feel the need to report it. Apparently, it seems NEWS (north, east, west and south) media, takes it for granted that it is not responsible to report what lies within.

I also wonder, how appropriate it is to give the power to mould the opinion of millions into the hands of these few (corrupt or otherwise) people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment