Friday 18 March 2011

The Fountainhead and other things

Cover of "The Fountainhead"Cover of The Fountainhead
Finally have got hang of twitter (or so I think). Its nice for some content discovery, chila chalu flirting and knowing what is around. The Indian Political Scene is full of surprises. Just when I thought it cant get bad than this, they surprise me and come up with something more mind-numbing. Self-evaluation and self-respect seems to be words alien to Indian-political personnel. 

As, such, I avoid commenting on things/people untill I feel I have reliable information to make a decision. As such, I hear people scream about things after having few facts, and feel a bit amused. For me, it has been always diffficult to criticize anyone until there is no possibility to avoid it. I mostly try to be happy with/around things/people I like. So, why should be this space any different. Let me talk about something which I liked a lot.

The book (yeah, m not called bookbluff for nothing) is called 'The Fountainhead' and its written by Ayn Rand. Was introduced to it during the last year of under-graduation exam. We had a viva during one of the practical exams. Me and my college crush, were having viva together. The professor who was taking the viva and us 3 shared common passion for reading. The questions during viva drifted from science to literature. One of the questions that our Prof. Dr. Vyas asked us was have we read The Fountainhead. I said no. My crush S said yes ( I still think that is one of the reason she got more mark than me and topped the university). We discussed the book for quite a bit of time. This lead me to buy one and read it. 

The book was amazing. Didn't agree to entire Philosophy of Ayn Rand, but liked parts of it. It describes selfishness as a virtue. The thing I liked most about the book was the character of Howard Roark, the Hero. He was sure of what he wanted to do since childhood Do what you like. Be a master of what you do. Do things you own way. Don't give a damm about what people/world say. (come to think of, I am not the perfect disciple, at 27  yrs and some months, still not sure what I want to do with life). 

The book is sort of a magnifying glass. There are some simple things which are not acceptable in society or considered anti-human. One such is selfishness. What book does is tries to take the things to extreme and shows a society/characters which are self-less and poses it against the ones with selfish and brilliant. 

There is one particular dialogue which I still remember after 4 years. Howard is asked by the anti-hero (forgot his name), what he (Howard) thinks about him. Howard says, but I don't think about you. 

The book was awesome. Its quite a long book, and by the time I completed it, I was under its spell. Tried some of the things mentioned in the book, and was immediately hated by people around me. It was then I realized that how difficult it is to be a minority. One has to drop one's intelligence to the level of majority or become Howard Roark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment