Sunday 14 November 2010

The internet

Writing a post after a long long time. Have been not in the best of moods. Have started working AGAIN, after a period of nearly two months of near hibernation. Was unhappy with life, was missing friends, so went into a self imposed, self-protective cocoon. During this time, I have had much to do, but did nothing. Did not write up the thesis, did not went out to travel, did not read much, did not cook anything good, did not do anything fruitful, except watching a high dosage of movies and doing some thinking. Watched around 3-4 movies a day (or watched some series). Must have watched more than 100 movies during this period.

It was during this 'dark period' that I realized the part Internet has played in what I am today. I remember my pre-college days in India. Living in a small city in Gujarat, where people often do not consider art as one of the justifiable profession, I used to go to library and browse the books for hours, listen to my father about what books he liked, try to read news paper reviews to find something worth reading. Also, there were times when I wanted to read a book badly (To kill a mocking bird comes to mind instantly), but could not find it there.

Then comes the early college years. I was kind of black sheep amongst my friends. None of my friends, except one liked reading. Even the one who liked was not a die-hard reader. I was many times made fun of for reading a novel on the day before exam (and this thing got leaked to the girls hostel too...). But all this time, I had to struggle to find out something which I would like. I was like a frog in the well...desperate to look beyond the confines of the well, but hampared by the boundries.

It was then that I discovered internet power beyond regular mails. Tried to google best books of all time, read reviews and thus took a big leap that took me out of the well. Later, I used the same power of internet for movies and music. Found some friends on orkut, who shared my interests. Could discuss books with many. Get their opinions and recommendations. The world made sense now.



I am sure, I am not the only one. I am sure, internet has enlighten many who were seeking the light. It has made me come in contact with movies like Pather Panchali, Witness for the prosecution, The bicycle theives, Casablance, Guess who is coming for dinner; introduced me to fur elise, deepened my love for Yanni. Made my life witty with sitcoms like Frasier and Friends. Introduced me to the world of Manto.

I feel it would be apt if I hereby modify the quote from Casablanca, 'Here's looking at you, Internet'. And I wonder, what all the beautiful things are out there, about whom, I even don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment